Profile of Directorate of Information Technology & Support System
Owing to the significance which the Information Technology has achieved over the past several years in the areas of employment, education and governance the University established a separate Directorate of Information Technology & Support System (IT & SS) in December 2007. The establishment of the Directorate is to ensure active contribution of the University in the development of the Society through the capitalization of opportunities associated with the Information technology. The Directorate is to serve as a Central Resource for capitalizing the enormous opportunities associated with Information Technology. The establishment of the Directorate is planned with following major objectives:
- Achieve excellence in three areas of Information Technology which includes Multimedia Systems, Software Development & DBMS.
- Bridge the gap between Academics & Industry through the establishment of Advanced Centre of Information Technology which shall also include development of the necessary support structure necessary for the development of the IT Industry.
- Provide IT support to the local conventional Industry by establishing Computer Aided Designing Centre.
- Implement & Manage e-Governance in the University System and provide necessary support to other Organizations in the e-governance plans.
- The present faculty strength of the directorate is 4 which include one Director & Three Information Officers/Technologists.
The Directorate in its first year of establishment has the distinction of getting financial support for one of its major projects designed to implement e-Governance in the University examination system. The brief of the project is as under:
Name of the Project E-Governed Examination System
Department of Information Tech., Govt of India, Lodhi Road, New Delhi
Sanctioned Amount 4.43 Crore
Scope of the Project
• All the Govt. Degree Colleges of Kashmir & Ladakh Region
• All University Departments & Centers
• Entire Examination Wing of the University
• Period of Completion – 2 Years
Main Features of the Project
• Establishment of Information Centre at all the affiliated Govt. colleges (40).
• Each University Department/Centre is also provided the requisite Infrastructure.
• Automation of all the Examination related activities.
• Establishment of Data Centre.
• Online Services for Students, Colleges/ Departments, Paper Setters, Evaluators & other stakeholders involved in the System.
• Development of SMS based information system.
• Entire Software Solutions are being developed in-house